Monday, March 25, 2013

SPICE UP a simple baby shower gift!

Over the weekend I had a baby shower for one of my friends. I thought I would share the gift I made becuase I love seeing what ideas other people come up with when it comes to gifts. I like to do gifts that have more of my touch versus just buying an item. If I buy an item off the registry, I will at least try to wrap it up all cute! So each time I have a bridal or baby shower, or even birthdays, I like having new ideas to incorporate! Learning to sew is something I have wanted to do for quite some time, so I have been trying to lately. Then only things I have made are pilow cases and baby burp cloths. Both are super easy and in my opinion they are a great way to start sewing! Here is a little tutorial on how I made mine.
First, here is the final prodcut or the basket before I wrapped it up!


Supplies:
Cloth Diapers (prefold premium 6-ply, availabel at Target)
Material of your choice
Sewing maching, thread, scissors, tape measure
Pins


Measure out the material so it fits in the center of the clother diaper. They vary from each one so I didn't want ot give measurements. It will cover the center rectangle, make sure you have about a 1/4 of an ench extra room on each side of the rectangle material you have cut. 

Lay out the material on top of the cloth diaper, once it looks centered, you can measure the white material on each side to make sure it's centered. Once you have it measure correctly, fold 1/4 of an inch of material under, and pin it. The pins need to be pointing with the pin point going up, follow this all the way around the rectangle, along all edges. 


Once everything is pinned, it's time to start sewing it. (I had a friend teach me and she still was helpingme throughout, so if you don't know how to sew, look up another tutorial on how to do that :)) When you feed the material through, you need to push the material up, which is the same way the pin points will be facing, as each peice is being sewn, remove the pin right before it goes under. The pins are used to keep the material secure in a straight line. Right before it feeds under, you will remove it. Do this all the way around.

Ta-da! Here is my finished product! If you look closely, you'll see my seems are not perfect and you can see that I am not a pro, but I'm learning! 

That is how you make the home-made burp cloths, I have heard that these are great becuase they are larger and thicker that most store-bought ones. Plus you can customize the fabirc to ones you like, no to mention they are custom and unique!

Here is the rest of the gift for the baby shower. I bought a pack of plain onesies from her registry, took them out of the packaging - tied them up with twine and made a cute paper bow tie for the top.

Foe the front of the basket, I wanted to make a little banner with baby Cade's name on it. I made a simple flag banner with some scrap paper I had, then found a free printable of this grey-wood. Printed that out and glue it all together. 

Then I hole-punched the top and fed the twine through the top so I could tie it to each side of the basket bin thing. I have also hot-glued the banner to the gift if it is just a box or bag. Since this bin thing might be re-used for bath toys or in a play room, I wanted the banner to be removeable.

Tied on the front, filling up the basket! 

I filled the basket with the basic items that I know every new mom needs, like I said before, I like to add my touch with some thing home-made and cute wrapping to spice it up!

All wrapped up with celo-wrap. Then, I try to have chipboard letters on hand for crafts. I think it's so cute to finish off a gift with an initial. They come grey so I spray painted this one white and now it's finished! (You can also use these chipboard letters for banners (see my bridal show pics) or I also used one on a bridal shower gift and used the frist letter of the bride-to-be's new last name! 

I hope this gives you some ideas or inspiration. I love seeing new fun ideas, if you have any, please share! 

15 comments:

  1. omg!!! you are so talented!! seriosuly so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a creative and fun way to gift a mama-to-be! I love it!

    Chelsea
    Haute Child in the City

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful gift! I love thoughtful gifts like this. XO!

    Elvy
    Pigtails and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT tutorial!!! And absolutely adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great!! i love it so creative and cute!! great job girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness, you really go all out! I would certainly appreciate all the sweet details but into that gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. - Ohhh very nice ideas ! I really like it :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute! I feel like I'm all creative and stuff when I do a diaper cake. My diaper cakes are boring compared to this!

    Amy

    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower of your blog!
    Love this :)
    So adorable

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you give everything a personal touch. I'm trying really hard lately to make more thoughtful gift baskets, so this post was very helpful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have LOVED this at one of my showers!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute idea and yours looked amazing!! Definitely going to try this for the next shower x

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips